RateMyCop.com
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:fedral judge rips lying NYPD (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:fedral judge rips lying NYPD
Big Red (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
fedral judge rips lying NYPD 4 Years, 11 Months ago  
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/11/30/2009-11-30_judge_rips_nypd_on_false_arrests.html

A respected federal judge slammed the NYPD Monday as plagued by "widespread falsification by arresting officers."

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
BillW (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Re:fedral judge rips lying NYPD 4 Years, 11 Months ago  
Judge Jack Weinstein rips NYPD on false arrests as brothers sue for $10M over wrongful narcs bust

BY John Marzulli
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, November 30th 2009, 8:48 PM

Maximo Colon, left, and brother Jose in front of the bar in Queens where they were arrested in a drug raid, accused of selling cocaine. The two were vindicated by a security video.

A respected federal judge slammed the NYPD Monday as plagued by "widespread falsification by arresting officers."

Brooklyn Federal Judge Jack Weinstein delivered the disturbing appraisal in a four-page decision refusing to throw out a multimillion dollar suit against the city filed by two men who were busted on bogus narcotics charges.

Weinstein, a 40-year veteran of the bench, was not persuaded by the city's claim that there is no evidence that police lying is condoned as an official policy.

"Informal inquiry by [myself] and among the judges of this court, as well as knowledge of cases in other federal and state courts ... has revealed anecdotal evidence of repeated, widespread falsification by arresting officers of the New York City Police Department," Weinstein wrote.

He said that while the vast majority of cops don't engage in crooked practices, it was common enough to be an institutional problem.

The judge said that despite better training for recruits and tough disciplinary action for bad cops, "there is some evidence of an attitude among officers that is sufficiently widespread to constitute a custom or policy by the city approving illegal conduct."

A police spokesman had no immediate comment on the decision, which was made public yesterday.

Maximo Colon and his brother, Jose, say Queens narcs busted them last year on false charges of selling cocaine in order to meet arrest quotas.

A surveillance tape inside Club Delicias de Mi Terra completely exonerated the Colons and led to the indictments of Detectives Henry Tavarez and Stephen Anderson.

The Colons then filed a $10 million lawsuit for false arrest.

Weinstein lowered the boom on the NYPD after giving city lawyer Afsaan Saleem a chance to come up with documentation showing that steps have been taken to address any problem of false testimony and fabricated criminal charges by cops.

In the past year, hundreds of drug cases have been tossed due to a corruption scandal in the Brooklyn South narcotics unit, three cops were arrested for covering up the sodomy of a suspect in the Prospect Park subway station and a veteran Bronx detective was convicted of perjury.

"The NYPD has a serious credibility issue if federal judges are convinced the department puts officers on the stand who lie," said Donna Lieberman, president of the New York Civil Liberties Union.

BillW (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Yeah I saw this the other day. Good for that judge. More people need to understand, if they'll do it one person they can do it to you. Of course the odds are higher if your poor but, with the cops this out of control what's going to stop them? Their morals? Fat chance.

BillW (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Chasing cops' paper trail: NYPD panel to scour lawsuits for police misconduct

BY Rocco Parascandola
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, November 5th 2009, 4:00 AM

The Police Department plans to scour civil court files for evidence of perjury, corruption and other wrongdoings.

The NYPD is trying to track down bad cops by looking for clues in big-bucks civil cases alleging police misconduct, the Daily News has learned.
Lawsuits and settlements are handled by the city's Law Department - but the Police Department plans to scour the files for evidence of perjury, corruption and other wrongdoings.

A review committee recently was formed to look at many cases, including those that cost the city more than $250,000 and those that include accusations of discrimination or retaliation.

The panel will have plenty of work. In fiscal year 2008, the city paid out $103 million to settle suits against the NYPD - including $35 million in cases that alleged improper police action, a 40% jump from 2007.

NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said the goal is to "identify those [suits] which may have implications for department policies and procedures."

Another catalyst for the committee is the growing concern about cops lying under oath, a source close to Internal Affairs Chief Charles Campisi told The News.

Under the old system, if a suspect sued for false arrest and it turned out the officer had lied about the circumstances, the NYPD might never find out.

Now, there's a process in place to red-flag those problems.

The reviews may mollify some critics who have long charged that the nation's largest police force does little to keep track of police misconduct suits.

But some say it doesn't go far enough because the new system excludes "nuisance" settlements - payouts of $10,000 or $20,000 in cases the city thinks it could win but would rather avoid trying because of the cost.

Donna Lieberman, executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, said leaving out the smaller cases "will undermine the whole endeavor."

City Councilman Peter Vallone, who has pushed the city for an oversight mechanism, agreed the review process will make it easier to spot police corruption.

And as a side benefit, he said, it also might root out criminals looking to make a buck off the city with frivolous suits.

He pointed to a recent News exposé about a Brooklyn drug crew whose members repeatedly had sued the city - and been paid off - at the same time that they were dealing drugs.

"These criminals know if they sue, the city is likely to settle rather than go to trial," Vallone said.

The Civilian Complaint Review Board already is charged with investigating allegations of misconduct, but not every person who sues files a CCRB complaint.

A lawyer who recently secured a $300,000 settlement for a Queens man paralyzed in a confrontation with a cop believes the new reviews will reveal a pattern of corruption and bad behavior.

"You're not going to find many problems on the upper East Side," said the lawyer, Anthony Iadevaia. "But you're going to see them in Harlem and the Bronx. You're going to see the same precincts over and over again."
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/11/05/2009-11-05_chasing_cops_paper_trail_new_nypd_panel_to_scour_lawsuits_for_police_misconduct.html

SPD (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
I don't think I'll ever understand why someo cops do this!! I do see a patern from time to time. Many of these incidents involve small units, assigned to specific crimes. I'd be interested in seeing what the turn over rate is. That is, how long people stay in the unit. I would THINK and only think that if a groups of cops had been working together for 5 years, I would think they would be more likely to do this type of stuff, verses always getting in new blood. This is why Marines move from base to base, and unit to unit. To keep new faces, order and discipline.

3 B's of Law Enforcement
Be Respectful
Be Professional
Be Ready to Kill Anyone at Anytime
BillW (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
"I would THINK and only think that if a group of cops had been working together for 5 years..."

You would think that but when you're talking about the NYPD normal rules just don't apply. Remember what they're infamous for...

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=abner+louima&lastnode_id=2001052

If my memory is correct the guy that actually made the arrest was relatively new and he blamed his supervisor. The comments on the first article give you an idea of what people think of them.

http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=80028&start=60&tstart=0

Last Edit: 2009/12/06 06:35 By BillW.
policeyourown1st (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
SPD wrote:
QUOTE:
I don't think I'll ever understand why someo cops do this!! I do see a patern from time to time. Many of these incidents involve small units, assigned to specific crimes. I'd be interested in seeing what the turn over rate is. That is, how long people stay in the unit. I would THINK and only think that if a groups of cops had been working together for 5 years, I would think they would be more likely to do this type of stuff, verses always getting in new blood. This is why Marines move from base to base, and unit to unit. To keep new faces, order and discipline.
Pattern or no, someone should figure this out. Some of the things that can be seen from the outside are the ages, maturity, and lack of standards that seem to be commonplace. IDK if BigPun was just BSing about his inability to even stand for 20 minutes or his dads problems, but that would disqualify a person from a whole lot of jobs that require no skills whatsoever. The stress tests they make us do to get on would drop a person in a hurry if they couldn't hang. Our tests take about half the day and when you get up the next morning you feel like you did the first real hard day of Basic!

I don't see time of service being a major factor. With all the liars, crooks and scumbags that are around you everyday, one would expect them to be easy to ferret out of the mix. There is no real cure for scumbags, but there is a way to get rid of them!

Big Red (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Why do they do it? Beacause they can!!

They act like any other criminal, size up the situation, consider the risks and rewards. They have the advantage because they know the laws, know how to cover their tracks and which brother they can trust not to snitch...............and off they go.

policeyourown1st (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
"Weinstein, a 40-year veteran of the bench, was not persuaded by the city's claim that there is no evidence that police lying is condoned as an official policy.

"Informal inquiry by [myself] and among the judges of this court, as well as knowledge of cases in other federal and state courts ... has revealed anecdotal evidence of repeated, widespread falsification by arresting officers of the New York City Police Department," Weinstein wrote."

It's about time someone called bullshit! When this judge wrote this into his report he made history!

SPD (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
PYO...the NYPD is a beast of it's own!!! But my point comes from cases like the Atlanta shooting, and other drug unity, or Vise units.. Those that tend to work outside the departments. THose that tend to have the same guys there for a long time. Take the Serpico story of NY. It was pretty much known by all NYPD that the plain clothes cops took money under the table(or at least that's my interprentation from the movie). And that's a specialized unit. You get a couple of bad apples in agroup, with a Supervisor that either doesn't care, is incompetent, or a part of the problem. And you've got a breading ground for problems. Same goes for departments as well. I bring up specialized units, but the same can be said for small departments. Even larger departments and how they operate. Many have "zones" or districts. You get the same cops/same area/same SGT/LT..etc. CAN create issues. You get a supervisor that doesn't care, or is bad, and you get problems. Works that way anywhere! And in any business unfortunately.

3 B's of Law Enforcement
Be Respectful
Be Professional
policeyourown1st (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
SPD wrote:
QUOTE:
PYO...the NYPD is a beast of it's own!!! But my point comes from cases like the Atlanta shooting, and other drug unity, or Vise units.. Those that tend to work outside the departments. THose that tend to have the same guys there for a long time. Take the Serpico story of NY. It was pretty much known by all NYPD that the plain clothes cops took money under the table(or at least that's my interprentation from the movie). And that's a specialized unit. You get a couple of bad apples in agroup, with a Supervisor that either doesn't care, is incompetent, or a part of the problem. And you've got a breading ground for problems. Same goes for departments as well. I bring up specialized units, but the same can be said for small departments. Even larger departments and how they operate. Many have "zones" or districts. You get the same cops/same area/same SGT/LT..etc. CAN create issues. You get a supervisor that doesn't care, or is bad, and you get problems. Works that way anywhere! And in any business unfortunately.
I agree with a whole lot of your statement here! My problem with it, which runs a parallel to your own problem, is that others are too chickenshit to say anything about it. IMO, Serpico was a man amongst men! Same sentiment for the reporter who turned Philly out about the same time. (The thin blue lie movie was based on this one) Honestly the reporter deserves more credit!

SPD (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
Along with the NYPD.. The larger the beast the more impossible it is for anyone to change it. Changing a chief will do nothing. Changing a few SGT's won't do anything either. On top of that, you've got positions that need to be filled. And NY doesn't pay that much compared to other places. So you get stuck with other cops who are less than par. Cops who might not be cops anywhere else. You find this at large PD's that have trouble filling slots. Granted I'm sure there are thousands of NY cops that are great cops, that do the right thing all the time. But statistically..no matter what percentage you think of cops are bad.. multiply that by the 50K cops in NY.. You see how many stories you get now.

3 B's of Law Enforcement
Be Respectful
Be Professional
policeyourown1st (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Re:fedral judge rips lying NYPD 4 Years, 10 Months ago  
SPD wrote:
QUOTE:
Along with the NYPD.. The larger the beast the more impossible it is for anyone to change it. Changing a chief will do nothing. Changing a few SGT's won't do anything either. On top of that, you've got positions that need to be filled. And NY doesn't pay that much compared to other places. So you get stuck with other cops who are less than par. Cops who might not be cops anywhere else. You find this at large PD's that have trouble filling slots. Granted I'm sure there are thousands of NY cops that are great cops, that do the right thing all the time. But statistically..no matter what percentage you think of cops are bad.. multiply that by the 50K cops in NY.. You see how many stories you get now.
Are you trying to tell me that the self-proclaimed good cops just sit idly by and let the scumbags take over the whole barrel? TYPICAL COWARD!

DaveLane (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
This is news?

Lying cops can be found under rocks at every department nationwide. I've gone face to face with a few a them. It became apparent lawless conduct can be attributed to support from fellow pigs and scumbags up the command chain.

Last Edit: 2009/12/06 21:25 By DaveLane.
BillW (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
QUOTE:
Changing a chief will do nothing. Changing a few SGT's won't do anything either

It's a step in the right direction. I'd say it might make a difference in the life of the next guy who's not a victim of your scum buddies in blue.
QUOTE:
So you get stuck with other cops who are less than par

The citizens are just supposed to accept this? Why is that? I don't think so. Until you decide to fix the prpoblem you should be judged by the worst of your people.

Last Edit: 2009/12/10 19:25 By BillW.
Go to top Post Reply